Friday, April 30, 2010

disney princesses and why they should just calm the hell down

I don't know if any of ya'll realized this by now, but I'm not exactly the biggest Miley Cyrus fan. Frankly, I think she's a little too big for her britches, if you catch my drift. Generally I just try to ignore her and wait for the inevitable day she will fade into teenage starlett obscurity. But some shit recently presented itself to me and, well, here it goes:

Stop trying to be edgy.

This does not just go for Miley Cyrus. This goes for everyone, ever, who ever recorded an album. If you started off as bubble-gum pop, such as Ms. Cyrus, I'm not saying you have to stay there forever (because a fifty year old singing about partying with her posse? ew), I'm just saying please, no one cares how "edgy" you are. You can go on and on and on about how "edgy" your album is, how "edgy" your music is, but seriously, no one is listening. Let your music speak for itself. If its any good, fine, but don't build it up to be this Big Adult Thing and then have people listen to it:



and just be like, "um, no." You just end up looking like an ass.

Let me elaborate.

Take Chick From Wizard Show. To the best of my knowledge, she didn't really say much about how "edgy" or "adult" her new band's music was. Just that it was fun and she wrote some of the songs herself. Generally pretty humble about it, I think. So when the song comes out, no one's blown away, but I can personally say I was pleasently surprised about how not bad it was. But if she had gone on about how awesome it would be, I would have torn that shit to shreds and spit it out on a grill so I can cook it for my dogs.

Now take the above mentioned Miley Cyrus. Before her last album even came out, she was blabbing on about how adult and--wait for it--"edgy" her new music was. This adds fuel to an unstoppable fire of people who are waiting for her to make a fool of herself (not that she makes it much of a manhunt), and when this music comes out, what happens? No one likes it. In fact, in her quest to gain a more adult audience with her cockiness and stupidity, she has actually alienated not only the adult demographic, but a great many of her original fans.

I guess what I'm saying is: if you got something good going, don't abruptly change it, and don't flip off the people who made you famous. It will come back to bite you.



Duh.

10 comments:

Lauren said...

I literally could not agree more. When a pop starlet has to tell her audience that what she's doing is edgy, it really isn't. And Miley scares me a little.

Anonymous said...

I do get the feeling that she's trying to be something she's not especailly since she even admitted to not really liking the songs her genre are in etc and that she prefers country music and so on. Then again, she is contradictory sometimes so who knows.

Other than that though, I dunno, she doesn't really bother me. :/ I think she just wants to prove that she's not a young kid anymore although she doesn't always go about it in the best ways lol.

Robby said...

Miley Cyrus...
Selena Gomez! :D
I mailed the book.

Jessica B said...

Awesome post. I couldn't agree more. I've always hated Disney channel star anyways.

Stephanie said...

Definitely. No one should flip off the people who made her famous. I don't know anything about the teen pop scene. I'm too old -- and my kids are too cool -- to care. :-D

http://laughingstars.net

SariJ said...

Sadly, part of her quest for change is due in large part to her growing up in the spot light. Most teens go through various changes (think hair, cloths, attitude). Young Disney stars forget they were made famous as kids and we do not necessarily want to see them change. With mass media attention these kids do not know when to "turn off" so this may be why we see Ms. Cyrus running her mouth about herself. I just hope she does disappear and does not go in the way of Lindsy Lohan. So sad.

Simon said...

Fuck you, Cyrus.

alana said...

That picture is so full of win.

A Musing Mother said...

I just stumbled on your blog. You hit the nail on the head.

I've never recovered from any of the Mouseketeers growing pains. Justin, Brittany, Christina... ew.

Robert said...

Guhhhh. She had something going with Party in the USA but this is just horrendous.

Have you seen her at the Oscars red carpet last year? She was like "well, I hope maybe I'll be here next year! I'm taking on more serious stuff". Wowww

Template by:
Free Blog Templates