Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Meme: What got you started?

I've been tagged by that douchebag Molly to participate in a fucking meme. Has the internet no morals?

Here's the description:


What got you started? What made you read science fiction or watch romantic comedies or play guitar-thrashing punk? Everything has an origin, and I want to know what it is.


I'm assuming this is referring to my reading habits, which are uneven and sporadic but prominent nonetheless.
I think I started reading as obsessively as I did because no one really wanted me to. I mean, my first real experience with rebellion was in first grade; I was in the lower reading class because reading was boring and I hated it. I just so happened to be obsessed with the Olsen twins during this time, so I brought in one of their books to read. If I was being honest with myself, I'd say there was like fourty percent of the first three pages that I actually understood, but I faked it because, compared to the picture books everyone was toking, I looked like a fucking mobster genius, heard?
My teacher pulled me aside and did this thing where she made me read out loud and if there were five words I couldn't pronounce, she would take the book away. I slipped up on the word "envelope" and "locket" and the book was gone. This infuriated me. I came home bitching to anyone that would listen. My sister, during a trip to Borders, who was a much bigger reader then I was and had already worked her way through an entire box of Babysitter's Club books our neighbor had given us, brought me to the bookstore isles and handed me a copy of Baily School Kids.



To my teacher's dismay and my rapterous delight, I did not have to fake read it; it was enthralling, yo. An entire world of sticking it to the man and ten year old crime solvers was opened up and the rest, as they say, was history.

Sorry that was so half assed. My head hurts.

I'M TAGGING...
Sister, Four of Them
Alana, Random Thoughts of a Crazy Liberal
Robby, Once Upon a Book Blog
Brent, Naughty Book Kitties

2 comments:

Simon said...

This is how you thank me, you whore!? You better link back to the fucking post, cunt.

alana said...

Oh thanks for tagging me. I'm not doing it though. Try not to be too heartbroken. haha

Template by:
Free Blog Templates