Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What Makes My Wallet Hurt (2)

Alright, did anyone else see this? The new cover for the sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth--The Dead Tossed Waves.



Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.


Is it just me, or does this summary have a decided lack of Mary-ness? Where's Harry? Cass? Jed? Because, God knows nobody told me. I'm going to assume Gabry is Mary's daughter, but what happened to everyone else, left in the Forest of Hands and Teeth?

I must say, sequels like this always put a downer on my day. Not because I doubt Carrie Ryan's ability to write a damn good book no matter how far into the future, but...I liked Mary. I don't want to watch her daughter go about her buisness--I want her to go about her buisness. I'll probably buy the book anyway (no matter how much my expendable income is depleting), but...still. Boo.

Cassandra Clare has also announced that a Simon-centric fourth installment of The Mortal Instruments is set to be released in March 2011. This, combined with her upcoming spin-off series, The Infernal Devices, is sure to garauntee I will be spending obscene amounts of money on her writings. Sigh.

I really want that new Scott Westerfeld book...damn.

ALSO Rob Thurman has released on her website the new cover to the fifth in the LEANDROS BROTHER series, Roadkill!



Hell. Yes.

(on a side note: isn't road kill two words?)

3 comments:

alana said...

I didn’t really care for Nightlife or The Forest of Hands and Teeth to be honest. lol

Lori Johnston said...

Carrie Ryan's book sounds interesting.

Here is my "crying wallet" list:
http://psychoticstate.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-makes-my-wallet-hurt-august-26.html

:)

Jessica said...

I know what you mean about the "sequel." I hope it isn't confirming my thoughts on what might have happened to Harry, Cass, and especially Jed. I am hoping, hoewever, that it'll give some back story to those things. *crosses fingers*
Either way, I'm really curious what Carrie Ryan does with this one.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates