Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Interview with Karen Metcalf, author of In the Storm

Karen Metcalf is the debut author of science fiction novella, In the Storm. She graciously stopped by to answer some of my pestering questions, so let's give'r a hand!


What inspired you to write In the Storm?

I wanted to write something that reflected my love of thunderstorms, and explored the relationship between brother and sister.


Your main character, Carly, lives in an abusive household. What made you want to incorporate this kind of storyline into your novel?

I knew that anger would have something to do with Carly’s ability to cross over. I also knew she was very independent, and pretty much the only one raising Mitch. I just needed someone to make her angry enough, and that’s where Richard came from.


This is your first novel. Was it difficult to make publishers take notice?

When I first wrote it I went on a few writing forums, and a lot of people stopped reading when they saw it was a novella. They told me it was too short to publish, and I couldn’t really get any other feedback. That was pretty frustrating. I knew the chances of publishing it as a stand-alone piece were pretty slim. I began to submit to magazines, and stumbled upon my publisher’s magazine, The Battered Suitcase. I noticed they were looking to publish novellas, and gave it a shot.


What got you into writing? Into the supernatural?

I’ve always loved to write; especially poetry when I was younger. I wrote a few short stories between high school and college, but this was my first attempt at something longer. But I’ve always had a deep passion for reading, and have always been fascinated with sci-fi and horror. When I began reading YA a few years ago, I realized there are a lot of similarities between those genres and YA.


What are some of your main influences?

I love Stephen King. I don’t think a lot of people realize how wide his range of writing is. He has gone all over the board from pure horror, sci-fi, non-fiction, young adult, short stories… the list just goes on and on. He is a huge inspiration.


You have to sell In the Storm over Twitter--130 characters or less. Go!

A teenage girl’s anger transports her to a limbo world between dimensions.


One book, one movie and one TV show.


The Long Walk (Stephen King), Pride & Prejudice (2005), Fringe

Advice for young writers?

Keep at it! Not everyone will like what you write, and sometimes that includes you. Submit until someone says yes.


What do you hope to convey with your work?

I hope I have introduced at least a semi-new concept to my readers. If nothing else, I hope that it at least made someone think twice, or ask a few more questions. I would love to know it was a conversation starter.


Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for having me!

Make sure to pick up In the Storm (I'm reading it now--it's a good'n!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

She has me sold on her Twitter summary! I'll be adding this to my TBR pile =]

- Jackie

Template by:
Free Blog Templates