Monday, December 14, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Guest Post: Kaaron Warren, author of Slights!

As part of my 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS, I've invited authors and bloggers alike to share their favorite holiday reads with us mortals. Here's horror novelist, Kaaron Warren:

Most Christmases, we stay with my Mum and Dad in Sydney. I never take any books with me, because my Dad is a voracious reader and library user and I love the randomness of reading what he has on his shelves.

I asked him for a list this year, so I could share it with you.

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Dad says, “This was in the last lot from the library. I can recommend it.”

The Effects of Light by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore. Dad says, “Library I am reading now also recommended.”

Natural History by Neil Cross. Dad says, “From library. I am about to read.”

I also read books my parents own themselves. As my Dad says, these are most often gifts from me. I’ll read and re-read these as well, particularly Life: a User’s Manual by Georges Perec, which is one of my favourite books of all time.

Damanhur The Real Dream by Jeff Merrifield

Life: a Users’ Manual by Georges Perec

Harmony in Flesh and Black by Nicholas Kilmer

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I left this with Dad during a vist last year. I loved this book for its refusal to flinch.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Yep, left this one behind too after I’d read it. A fascinating study of a group of people held hostage. Reminded me a bit of the short story “Lowland Sea”, by Suzy McKee Charnas, which I need to stop raving about.

The Red Thread by Nicholas Jose

The Outer Reaches by Michael Vyse

The Fifth Gate by Mark Raphael Baker

House of Meetings by Martin Amis. I gave this one to Dad as a present but I read it first. Is that bad? It is a long way from my favourite Martin Amis book. That award goes to Dead Babies. What a bloody good book that is!

The Birthday of the World by Ursula Le Guin

Messianic Revolution by David S Katz and Richard H Popkin

The Farenheit Twins by Michel Faber. Haven’t read this one yet but love Michel Faber, so it’s top on the Christmas reading list.

So plenty of reading ahead for me! Plus I’m hoping to get a few books in the Santa sack.

--

Kaaron is the author of the now AWARD WINNING horror novel Slights, reviewed quite favorably here. You can check out her website for more info! *update* The cover for Kaaron's upcoming WALKING THE TREE has been released!

0 comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates