Sunday, February 20, 2011

Why I Used to Love Dystopia.

(and why I hate it now)

Unless you've been living under a particularly heavy rock over the last year or so, you might have noticed the sudden influx of teen dystopian novels hitting books shelves. To even the most casual of apocalypse fans, this would be fantastic news. To me, a hardcore end of the world junkie, this would be TA BEST NEWS EVAH. Except it's not. Painfully so.

It's kind of like hipster syndrome; once everyone starts liking something, it's not cool anymore. But in my case, my new-found distaste for the genre is something completely different; it has nothing to do with it's popularity and everything to do with the soul crushing blandness these new books have been churning out, the similarities with their more successful predecessors unbearably reminding readers what these new authors simply CAN NOT DO; write a soulful book about the end of the world.

So, dear authors of shitty dystopia; I am done.

1 comments:

alana said...

I feel exactly the same! It's just so depressing. Plus the need to turn every book into a series is killing me I swear. KILLING ME.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates